💪7 Main Reasons Stretching is Vital to Your Health💪
Stretching keeps your muscles flexible, strong, and healthy!That flexibility helps you maintain proper range of motion in your joints. Without that, the muscles shorten and become tight. This puts you at risk for joint pain, strains, muscle damage and undo stress and tension.
1. RELIEVES STRESS. Life is filled with stressors, both physical and emotional. In response, your muscles become tight and your joints begin to hurt and it seems like it happens without you even realizing! Stretching lengthens muscles and relieves tension which results in reduced stress. Expert Tip: take a yoga class....
2. IMPROVES DIGESTION. ...Yes, stretching can actually help improve your digestion. While you stretch you are bending your body in positions that affect the flow of energy. “The Lotus Natural Health and Rejuvenation Clinic in Edmonds, Washington recommends gentle twisting yoga poses to increase blood flow to the bowels, reduce inflammation and gastritis, and strengthen the intestines.” At QCY, we call this Wind Removing Pose! Expert Tip: The next time you have a big meal and your belly hurts… get to yoga class!
3. REDUCES ANXIETY. ...Relaxation techniques such as stretching help reduce anxiety. One of the main components of stretching is breathing. It’s important to focus on your breath; take deep inhales and exhales to relieve your mind of the constant racing thoughts that feed anxiety. Expert Tip: Take the full Savasana after ever class.
4. SOOTHES HEADACHES ...Tension in your neck muscles and scalp can lead to aching headaches. Why? Well, if you sit or sleep with your head in the same position for too long it tightens the muscles. Stretching can help reduce muscle tension which will help soothe your headache. Expert Tip: Move slowly in beginning breathing to help your body respond to stretching the muscles.
5. IMPROVES BLOOD FLOW ...Stretching has a positive impact on your health. It helps with blood circulation, decreases high blood pressure and increases nutrient supply to muscles. Stretching also helps those who suffer from insomnia, infertility and fatigue. Expert Tip: Hot Yoga increases circulation the most. Check your vitals before beginning a hot yoga practice and see how they improve.
6. DECREASES MUSCLE SORENESS. ...You got in a great IHP workout and then you woke up the next morning incredibly sore. Prevent the pain of sore muscles by stretching after your workout. Stretching helps increase your blood circulation and range of motion which ultimately relieves the tension in your muscles. Expert Tip: Add a minimum of one yoga class per week to your IHP regimine.
7. IMPROVES POSTURE ...Tight and tense muscles contribute to poor posture. Tight chest and shoulder muscles can pull you forward and hunch your spine. According to Heart of Healing, “Stretching the muscles of the lower back, shoulders and chest can help keep the back in better alignment and improve posture.” Expert Tip: Get your body to a yoga class!